The good news and the bad news regarding the new FAA Drone Regulations
THE BAD NEWS
The FAA recently announced new regulations requiring the registration of small recreational drones. This applies to drones between 0.55 lbs. and 55 lbs.
While not unexpected, this ruling will generate lots of questions. The highlights of the regulation are:
- You register with the FAA via website and get a single unique ID number that must be applied to all your drones before flight.
- Registration starts December 21, 2015.
- Registration fee is $5, and the fee is waived until Jan 20, 2016 to encourage initial signups.
- Registrants will need to provide their name, home address, e-mail address, and a credit card.
- Minimum age is 13 years old.
- There is no requirement for registration at point of purchase.
THE GOOD NEWS!!
Currently, the only Odyssey Toys drone needing registration is the Starfall Racing Drone. All other Odyssey Toys products, including some of our best sellers, DO NOT qualify under the new FAA Regulations as they all weigh under .55 lbs.
Click here for the FAA Website to read the official ruling.